![]() |
| 6x6 |
My well-designed object is a multi-layered, hand-crafted, complex painting that I designed and created in the fall of 2010. While my object appears to be a flat painting, it is actually many pieces of painted canvas that have been cut into individual shapes, fitted together, and layered to form the whole image. I used red, orange, and violet paints to create the values as shades of those colors by mixing in precise and varying amounts of black paint.
Because my object is so personal, I think, the cultural connotations would be determined by its viewers. For example, a viewer who saw this in the context of my home as a decoration would have either a positive or negative visual reaction to it and develop an opinion about my personal style. They would be reacting to the visual without knowing the personal meanings to me-which represent the subcultural aspects of my object.
Sub-culturally and personally, this object represents my hard work and creativity, for I struggled to abstract the banality of a power pole into an organic-looking object of beauty. This object defines me as a designer because, well, I designed it! My design aesthetic is traditional with a healthy dose of quirky and my object exemplifies both qualities. I tend to design circularly; I appreciate the nature and symmetry of round shapes and forms, and the"organicness" of curvilinear lines. I can easily envision the pattern of my object being used as a fabric or rug design.


No comments:
Post a Comment