The parti for my design of the living/learning community at The Province shows circles in varying sizes and straight lines in varying widths and lengths. The colors shown on the parti are representative of the color scheme I intend to use in my design. One element of living that I believe is an integral part of learning and community is maintaining open, fun, public spaces, so I wanted to be sure to incorporate those in my design. Being pragmatic, however, I am sensitive to designing the space to include secluded, private spaces as well. In an attempt to provide an open floor plan while maintaining private areas such as bathrooms and bedrooms, I chose to use sliding doors throughout the apartment instead of having door swings that interfere with the flow of the room. In fact, there are only two door swings in the whole apartment, at the front door and for a narrow closet. My design morphed to include more scaled circles, and continuing the circularity of the forms, columnar elements. For example, I chose two columns of appliances and storage for the kitchen instead of a traditional kitchen layout. I also opted to use circular sliding doors to separate the bedrooms from the rest of the apartment that,when closed, add another layer of column-like detail.
| Sliding Doors |

No comments:
Post a Comment