iarc blog

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Mid Term Critique



The Spinning Mule





This is my board for the mid term critique. I was disappointed with it, because I don't think it accurately reflects the work that I put into the project. I added the beer graphics along the top of the board, as suggested by one of my classmates, and I agree that it adds to the overall graphic quality of the board. 

I received very good feedback from the guests who came to our mid term critique. Specific suggestions were:

From Barbara Lipe - She suggested that where I have a single step to an elevated level, I should put two. A rule of thumb is people trip over one step more easily than two, so never have a single step from one plane to the next. This is a great piece of general knowledge about design.

Fire Inspector - He appreciated where my proposed doors are located to the outdoor seating. His concern was that if 49 people could be out there, a secondary exit would be required. He suggested that I change the swing of one of the proposed doors or shorten the length of the outdoor space. He also informed me about some of the general fire codes such as, sprinkler system and fire alarm if occupancy of 300, kitchen fire suppression (located in commercial hood), and classified wiring in the mill room (closed wiring system that cannot contribute to spontaneous combustion).

Mitch Wilds and Tim Simmons - They suggested that I emphasize the windows on the second floor more by creating wells around them with railings. Tim really seemed to like my idea about a "steam punk" aesthetic.

Sharon Frazier - My design concept celebrates both the age of the machine and the textile workers who once worked at Revolution Mill. Sharon challenged me to also celebrate where the machine and worker come together. I believe my ideas do reflect that to a degree, but I can make that aspect more conscious in my design. 

Eddie Belk - He really seemed to like the direction of my design. He made a suggestion for the second floor that I intend to explore, which is to not let the second floor go to the walls at all, but make it cantilevered from the west side of the building.

Heather Slane - Her suggestion was that I hide the elevator and make the sculpture the focal point around which the staircase winds. I am conflicted about this suggestion, however. I really want the elevator to take center stage because of the machinery, but I like the idea of the stairs wrapping around the sculpture. I will have to explore this further.

James Priddy and Shelby McLean - They both thought my kitchen design was well thought out. James questioned the placement of my mechanical room but said its placement wasn't dispuptive to the flow of the kitchen.

Kayne Fisher - He also seemed to appreciate my design, especially the kitchen layout and beer service directly from brite tanks. He helped me to understand what storage spaces I need to add for the brewery.



No comments:

Post a Comment